The GenY Success Show (Episode 8): Tamara Thorpe – Finding Great Mentors, Becoming A Great Leader, Effective Goal Setting
About This Episode
Tamara Thorpe helps equip millennials with the tools to succeed as a leader in today’s world. She loves helping young adults build a better version of themselves to realize their untapped potential. I dug in with Tamara to get her insight on finding mentors. She also talks about why it’s important to have a mentor to help you get ahead in your career. If you’re wondering how to show a potential mentor you’re worth their time, we answer that question for you in this episode.
We also dig into leadership and why it’s more than just a title: it’s a mindset and a lifestyle. You don’t have to be a “boss” to be a great leader. Tamara also helps millennials set life goals and, more importantly, helps them to achieve their goals. We talk about creative ways to hold yourself accountable to your goals to achieve as many of them as possible.
Ways You Can Listen To This Episode
Stream with player here:
- You don’t know…what you don’t know! Why traveling can broaden your perspective
- How do you find a mentor without being weird about it? Why’s a mentor important to have?
- Why it’s important to connect to the superstars at conferences
- Why LinkedIn groups are a great way to find mentors
- How to show a high value mentor that you’re worth their time
- Leadership is a state of mind, it’s not a position or a title
- How to make your personal leadership philosophy
- Why finding an accountability partner is key to achieving your goals
- Why taking on responsibilities outside of your job description helps leverage better opportunities
- How to leave a great legacy
Links From The Episode
- How To Be A Leader (Part 1)
- How To Be A Leader (Part 2)
- How To Be A Leader (Part 3)
- How To Be A Leader (Part 4)
- Free career tools from Tamara’s website
Connect With Our Guest
- Books: The Leadership Challenge by James Kouzes, The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
- Apps: Haiku Deck
Don’t forget to subscribe to The GenY Success Show on iTunes and leave an honest review! It really helps us out because it helps the show rank higher on iTunes so that other ambitious millennials can take advantage of this free resource as well.