The GenY Success Show (Episode 9): Vanessa Van Edwards – Using Human Behavioral Science To Become More Likeable
About This Episode
Vanessa Van Edwards is the CEO and Founder of Science of People, a Portland, OR based human behavior research lab. Vanessa has been featured in many publications including CNN, Forbes, NPR, Business Week and the Wall Street Journal, along with being a contributor to the Huffington Post.
The reason I had Vanessa on the GenY Success Show is that she applies her studies of human behavior to business. We talk all about how non-verbal communication affects successes and failures in the business world and she gives a ton of practical takeaways you can implement right away at work.
She also has a special deal for you guys to get 50% off of her new sales course. Visit www.genysuccess.com/sales and use the promo code “podcast” if you’re interested.
Ways You Can Listen To This Episode
Stream with player here:
- People skills are a learn-able science
- A minimum of 60% of communication is non-verbal
- Learn what type of eye contact is best for social, power and intimate settings
- Vanessa gives her 3-step process for learning and adopting great non-verbal communication skills
- Confidence and cockiness are very close to the same thing, but learn how to exude the former, and not the latter
- The broader your body language (the more space you take up) the cockier you appear
- What type of body language is best with an employer, in a sales situation and in network settings
- Our body language changes our mental state and physiology
- Thin slicing and how it affects the first impressions me make on others
- Your first impression doesn’t start when you engage in conversation, it starts when you enter the room
- The biggest thing you’re doing in every networking situation that’s causing others to judge you incorrectly
- Learn about the 4 steps to effective non-verbal communication in a sales setting
Links From The Episode
- Vanessa’s company, Science of People
- Advanced Sales Course (Use “podcast” for the promo code for 50% off)
- Check out Vanessa’s YouTube Channel for 150+ videos of visual examples of what she talked about in this episode
- Vanessa’s steps for becoming more attractive
Connect With Our Guest
Don’t forget to subscribe to The GenY Success Show on iTunes and leave an honest review! It really helps us out because it helps the show rank higher on iTunes so that other ambitious millennials can take advantage of this free resource as well.