The GenY Success Show (Episode 10): James Norris – Building New Success Habits, Increasing Productivity and Finding Fulfillment In Your Work
About This Episode
James Norris is a social entrepreneur and professional lifehacker. He’s experienced and tracked over 1,500 life firsts. He’s a super interesting guy and he has a ton of knowledge on habits and productivity.
He’s also co-built 20+ organizations and was a triple major/quadruple major at the University of Texas at Austin. I had him on the show to share his tools and knowledge with us about how to build better habits, overcome bad ones and increase our productivity by limiting distractions.
James has given us a custom page on his website with a bunch of goodies! Check it out at www.selfspark.com/genysuccess.
Ways You Can Listen To This Episode
Stream with player here:
- Make sure to check out the custom page James made for us at www.selfspark.com/genysuccess for a bunch of goodies!
- James built his first businesses in grade school
- Spending the time to read books isn’t necessarily the quickest way to learn about a new subject, nor is it the best way to spend your time
- What the 80/20 rule is and how it applies to lifehacking
- 40% of your daily activities, on average, are done out of habit…things you do that you don’t consciously think about
- Habit building isn’t formally taught anywhere, but the basics start with motivation, ability and trigger (BMAT)
- Small wins are key to building habits successfully
- How to build a consistent exercise regimen by applying BMAT
- Why accountability partners are critical for building habits successfully
- Apps you can use to help you hold yourself accountable
- Bad habits are hard to get rid, the best way to get rid of them is to replace them with a new habit
- It takes about 66 days to form a new habit, but it depends on how difficult the habit is to implement
- James has tracked over 1,500 first in his life
- Self tracking is very important in forming new habits
- Don’t be proud of working 12-14 hours every day and getting little sleep…you’re killing yourself
- Taking more breaks throughout the day can lead to higher productivity
- How Personal Hackathons can help increase your productivity
- How to maximize email efficiency
- Why turning off as many notifications on your phone as possible is key to increasing productivity
Links From The Episode
- BJ Fogg’s Behavioral Model (BMAT)
- The 7-minute workout
- Soylent meal replacement
- Tony Schwartz
- Personal Hackathons
Connect With Our Guest
- Books: Be Excellent At Anything by Tony Schwartz, Running Lean by Ash Maurya and The How of Happiness by Sonja Lyubomirsky
- Apps: stickK, Beeminder, RescueTime, Newsfeed Eradicator, Mailstrom, Mint.com, Calm and Headspace
Don’t forget to subscribe to The GenY Success Show on iTunes and leave an honest review! It really helps us out because it helps the show rank higher on iTunes so that other ambitious millennials can take advantage of this free resource as well.