(GYSS #33): Jess Lively – A Values-Based Approach To Accomplishing Our Goals
About This Episode
Click To Tweet: “Start where you are…and just keep going!”
Jess Lively works with entrepreneurs to help them create a more values-based approach to their possessions, personal habits, relationships and career. She has a podcast, The Lively Show, a top-rated show on iTunes in which she brings on guests to discuss values-based intentions and how they can help us define success for ourselves.
The reason why I wanted Jess on the show is because she embodies a concept that many highly successful entrepreneurs believe in: we must define success for ourselves. Success doesn’t have to always be attached to our list of achievements in life and we discuss what it means to attach intentions and values to our goals in order to help us become more successful.
Link On Jess’s Website For Us: JessLively.com/jasonbay
Ways You Can Listen To This Episode
Stream with player here:
- Jess discusses values and intentions and the difference between them
- Jess talks about the different levels of success and we tend to focus more on the stuff we have and the end result instead of who we are and what we are doing.
- Having. The “stuff” you have and your material possessions. We are in the least amount of control over the end result. These are things that give us the least amount of happiness over long periods of time.
- Doing. What you do each day in your job or business. The daily activities you do to make your living.
- Being. Who you are as a person. The happiest, most successful people in the world are typically the people who are most grounded with who they are. They are their most truest self and completely happy with who they are. Your being is your values.
- Think of these three levels as a mountain…having is at the very bottom of the mountain, doing is the next level up and being is at the top
- Don’t think about success and fulfillment as climbing this mountain, think of starting at the top and journeying towards the bottom
- Gandhi especially talks about detaching himself from the the end result and embodying his daily actions and who he was as a person
- Don’t let your happiness be dictated by whether or not you achieve a result…results are important but you only control the process
- Here are the 4 categories of success in our lives. Don’t try to focus on all of them at once, focus on the 1-2 areas in your life you’d like to be more successful in.
- Personal habits
- PPPFFE (the guide to knowing if a value is good to focus on or not)
- Present moment. You must be able to embody this value right now.
- Peaceful. Living this value must feel peaceful to you regardless of the outcome.
- Positive. Take a positive spin to focus on what you want to do, instead of what you’re trying to avoid.
- Flexible. Make sure you can live up to this value no matter what circumstances might come up.
- Fulfilling (Innately). It’s only something you expect of yourself, not what others expect of you.
- Enduring. You can do it for the rest of your life.