(GYSS #43): Jessie Goergen – Kickstarter Campaigns, Breaking Into The Music Industry
About This Episode
Jessie Goergen is a Brookings, Oregon native who has been singing since she could talk. She moved out to Nashville a little over a year ago and is currently working with Gretchen Wilson to help with writing, recording and producing her new debut album.
I had Jessie on the show because being a musician is a lot like running a small business. She shares her mindset around hustling for opportunities, self promotion and how to put together a successful Kickstarter campaign. She’s raised over $20,000 in just a few weeks and has a ton of great tips to share!
Ways You Can Listen To This Episode
Stream with player here:
- Jessie has been singing since she could talk!
- Jessie shares her story, along with struggles and failures along the way
- What it was like when she was trying to get into law school and had an epiphany moment that she should pursue a career in music
- Why it’s important to hustle and take every opportunity you can get
- How she met Gretchen Wilson and why it’s important to ask yourself, “What’s the worst that could happen?”
- What it was like moving to Nashville and uprooting her entire life
- Jessie shares a little bit about how the music industry works and how the publishing side differs from the artist side
- How to show a mentor that you’re worth their time
- The fundamentals to a successful Kickstarter Campaign
- Tell your story (find inexpensive ways to create interesting content)
- Create interesting contests and prizes to get your fans and supporters engaged in your project
- Promote, promote, promote
- “Don’t follow the mold all the time. Make your own mold. Make your own way.”
- “When you’re doing what you love, people really dig that.”
- “I appreciate every single failure that has ever happened to me.”