(GYSS #68): Navigating Through A Quarter-Life Crisis With Author John Schnettgoecke
About This Episode
John Schettgoecke is a regular dude who fell headfirst into an epic quarter-life crisis. He quit his job, fled the country, and then fell off a motorcycle in Costa Rica. Unsure what to do next, he wrote a book titled Pura Vida, A Thinker’s Guide to Living: 12 “Must Answer” Questions on Happiness, Habits & Hustle for Mixed-Up Millennials. He’s now on a mission to encourage millennials to write their way through their 20s.
I wanted to get John on the show because he’s a long time fan of the podcast and he’s actually gone through a quarter-life crisis himself. We talk about how to navigate through your own quarter-life crisis through finding happiness, developing great personal habits and HUSTLING.
Ways You Can Listen To This Episode
Stream with player here:
- John was a big baseball player growing up and talks about what it was like to give up on his dream
- Is quitting necessary for success? We discuss!
- What is a quarter-life crisis? Why does it happen? John fills us in.
- How do you navigate through one? John shares these 3 steps:
- When things are spiraling out of control, just let it happen.
- Start asking yourself a few difficult questions. Schedule regular time to ask yourself (and answer) these questions:
- What role does luck play in my life?
- What’s my purpose?
- What one piece of advice would you give your teenage self?
- Up to this point in your life, what experience has defined you the most?
- Ask yourself questions about your happiness, habits and hustle.
- Share your story in a way that’s personal to you. Find an outlet to release your creative energy (podcast, blog, writing, etc.)