(GYSS #71): Working with EDM Artists and the Realist’s Perspective on Passion with Sam Matla
About This Episode
Sam Matla is the founder of EDMProd, a blog & resource website aimed at helping electronic music producers make better music. He’s also the author of The Producer’s Guide to Workflow & Creativity, which aims to help producers overcome creative problems.
I wanted interview Sam Matla because he’s been able to take a passion of his (EDM) and turn it into a business helping other EDM artists. We talk marketing, EDM and how to turn a passion of yours into a business.
Ways You Can Listen To This Episode
Stream with player here:
- Sam always loved EDM but got started in business with a skateboarding blog and then a productivity blog
- Why following your passion isn’t always a conscious decision…your passion is often created by becoming good at something
- We discuss when you should know when to pivot or quit an endeavor
- Why it’s ok not to have a super niche business at first until you generate audience feedback
- Sam talks about the most common business skills missing in EDM artists
- Professionalism – be professional in your interaction with other EDM artists, bloggers and podcasters
- Networking – connect with other artists!
- Financial Awareness – it’s not everything, but stop telling yourself that it’s not important because you’re not making any…it allows you to make your art!