(GYSS #87): How To Give Your Career An Upgrade with Olivia Gamber
About This Episode
Olivia Gamber is the Founder of Occupational Olivia and author of the best-seller The Career Upgrade Roadmap. She helps highly educated young professionals upgrade their career or transition to work that is more engaging. She’s been featured on Forbes, Entrepreneur, and Fast Company. You can also find her weekly on The Occupational Olivia Podcast on iTunes.
I wanted to get Olivia on the show because she’s used her unique background in both psychology and organizational development to successfully navigate the workplace and upgrade her career along the way. We talk about psychology, relationships, and business, then dive into Olivia’s 5-step process for upgrading your career.
Ways You Can Listen To This Episode
Stream with player here:
- Olivia graduated from Arizona State University in 2009—smack dab in the middle of the recession
- Olivia used her background in psychology and organizational development to successfully navigate the workplace
- Why you should treat each job as a learning opportunity (no matter how unhappy you may be in your current position)
- The importance of finding the “why” at your job (and how to create your own opportunities for advancement)
- How the right mentors can catapult your career (and why you need mentors who are at least two steps ahead of you)
- Olivia walks us through her process for finding the job you love and upgrading your career:
- Target Identification. Figure out what you actually want to do (find 3-5 job titles that interest you)
- Market Validation. Proactively seek out (and talk to) people who are already doing what you want to do.
- Consistent Connection Strategy. Continue to nurture the relationships you’re building along the way.
- Career Narrative. Ask smart, probing questions in order to market yourself effectively to hiring managers.
- Red Carpet Application. Network your way to the person(s) who are in a position to hire you.