(GYSS #89): How To Optimize Your Business & Build A Life You Love with Matt Inglot
About This Episode
Matt Inglot is the founder of Tilted Pixel, a web agency he started 10 years ago while in university. He is also the creator FreelanceTransformation.com where he helps fellow consultants and creative services providers earn more and most importantly, to build an amazing lifestyle through their business.
I wanted to get Matt on the show because he’s an experienced freelancer and entrepreneur who’s built a business that’s perfectly optimized for a life of freedom and flexibility. We talk about all things freelancing, including the most common freelancing mistakes, how to figure out (and charge) what you’re worth, and how to find clients you actually want to work with.
Ways You Can Listen To This Episode
Stream with player here:
- Matt created TiltedPixel after he was laid off from his part-time job at a startup
- Matt says that if he could turn back time, he’d have left college after his third year
- How Matt got started as a freelance web developer
- How to sell yourself and your services (minus the awkwardness)
- The biggest mistake Matt made in starting his business (and how you avoid making the same mistake)
- How Matt re-tooled his business, worked fewer hours, took on less work, and actually made MORE money
- Why Matt says, “Your best paying clients will almost always be the clients who are a joy to work with.”
- How to figure out what you’re worth and how to set your rates (and how to make a LOT more money)
- The most common mistakes freelancers make, according to Matt:
- Not charging enough. Determine what your services are actually worth to a potential client.
- Charging hourly rates. Charge on a per-project basis (hint: don’t worry about market rates).
- Targeting the wrong clients. Find clients where your skill-set intersects with your own curiosities.
Links From The Episode
- Tilted Pixel
- The Top 3 Things I Learned While Attending World Domination Summit 2015